And now for the bloody easy, very delicious fairy cake (vanilla cupcake) recipe. I used the recipe from Quick & Easy Kids' Cakes by Sara Lewis (ISBN 978-0-7537-1892-6) that I bought for AUD $ 10 at a book sale. It's been one of the best bargains ever!
Prep time: 10 minutes, baking time: 12-15 minutes, icing: 30 minutes
125 g self-raising/self-rising flour*
125 butter/ margarine
125 g caster sugar
NOTES: *If you don’t have self-raising flour, please use the following substitute: 125 g plain flour (maida) sifted with 1 ½ tsp baking powder and ¼ tsp salt.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (170°C for fan-forced ovens) and place rack in the centre.
2. Line 12-hole muffin/cupcake tray with patti/paper cases. Alternately, I used silicon mini cupcake pans and lined them with paper. This recipe makes 12 regular-sized cupcakes and about 25 mini cupcakes.
3. Put all the ingredients into a bowl and beat together until incorporated. Please do not overbeat else your cupcakes will be hard.
4. Divide the mixture evenly between the patti case and level the surface using the back of a spoon.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes till toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. The cupcakes should spring back when touched. Leave the cupcakes in the tray for 5 minutes then remove from tray leave on wire rack to cool completely.
6. Once completely cooled, frost/ice with your choice of icing.