20.6.11

How (a)typical

So it's just another regular evening at our house. We all -- Partner, his bff-since-school DocPal and me -- are in the lounge ('drawing') room except for Mia, who is asleep in her cot. We hope the baby would continue sleeping while the men watch footy and I read Tina Fey's biography Bossypants.

The men do the usual man-thing of discussing some stat (they are not so sure about) and abusing some umpire (they are very sure about). Sometimes though they look away from the TV screen long enough to stare at me. There are many points in the book that make me laugh out loud. I am stared at during those points. "You are a freak," they declare, Partner loudly and DocPal tacitly because he does not deny it either. Sometimes I read out bits from the book while laughing out loud, they stare at me harder.

At one point I have to stop reading. Tina has just written about some of her male colleagues pissing in various cups and keeping these cups randomly sitting about the office. Some of her other male colleagues -- another department, lower hierarchy perhaps since they didn't get their own cup -- have been communally pissing in a jar. Having worked in the media, I was quite struck by this. I tried to think of any time I might have seen any of my male editor's, various techie or other colleagues ever sitting around suspicious-looking styrofoam cups. The only cups I had noticed were the once that were supposed to be coffee but were actually rum-and-coke-during-night-shift.

Anyway. So I interrupt the boys and ask, "Have you ever pissed in a cup because you didn't want to go to the toilet?" Boys look at each other.

Partner says, "Geez, not in a cupppp, more like a Gatorade bottle."

I am disgusted and turn to DocPal -- who is a doctor afterall -- looking for some support, some signs that he too is similarly disgusted.

DocPal to Partner, "Did you fill the bottle?"


So why am I the freak?

PS: Bossypants, totally read it. I loved the bits about her childhood and starting out in television. The bits about her at Saturday Night Live were somewhat boring. And then I really fell for her when she spoke about motherhood etc. Sometimes it feels like she is really honest, at other times there's a bit of that's-bullshit-Tina but overall worth a read.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why the hell would someone piss in a cup/bottle/jar?! Can't imagine how a female would do it. :O

Anonymous said...

eeks. such things make me even happier that i'm not a man (shudder). and also that anna is a sweet little girl :)

noneyo said...

Dear Lord while reading your text I was laughing so much :D because I have seen an episode of 30 Rock where it happens :D and the situation is just so overall absurd I thought it was made up :D LOL

But gosh how more disgusting can guys get????

I have a hubby and a dad and for me that's is more than enough to take :D but as still I can't fully identify myself with the motherhood here or on her book, being the elder of 3 sisters I will be for sure hoping the first ones are girls ^^

Bikram said...

oooops ...

when you got ot go YOU GOT TO GO :)

i had to smile ...


Bikram's

Unknown said...

@ Lover: Apparently the someones in Tina Fey's book did it because they were too lazy to go to the toilet. I bet there are gamers all over the world like this and those seedy men in those seedy internet parlours. I bet YOU have done it. chee, chee. ;) And women can. We've always had more spot-piss-control than men. :D

@ Anna's mom: A-men! :D

@Deb: Yeah, I think Tina got the idea from real life for 30 Rock. Do you know that despite reading her biography, I have NOT seen 30 Rock!? I better rectify that quick.

@ Bikram: I KNEW men would empathise. NOT drinking gatorade offered by a man unless the seal's intact. ;)

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Gah!! As if it's not enough that they can pee just about anywhere they want without having to worry about catching a UTI...they go and do this! I think I shall carry my trust coffee mug all over the place now, thank you very much!!

Suruchi said...

haha..super cute read...and made me raise my eyebrows n left me wondering too...now i would never be able to see mugs in offices without remembering you:-)

Unknown said...

I love Tina Fey, I haven't read Bossypants yet, but I would have imagined that the bits about her time in SNL would be the most interesting ones :O.

Unknown said...

@ Vid: possibly because I haven't seen 30Rock or SNL. :O

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...